Monday, November 28, 2011

Bow Board Tutorial

Last year my sister-in-law moved in with her boyfriend and his two awesome kids, an 8 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. We met them during our visit in July and fell in love. However, 5 days was not a ton of time to really get to know them. So I was really stuck for gift ideas for the girl (I'm pretty good on 5 year old boys right now). I had the idea to make her a few bows, but then thought I'd need to make a bunch to constitute an exciting gift. That's when I came up with the idea for a bow board to go with the barrettes. I really love how it came out, and it was super super easy.
A $4 frame from Target, a fat quarter, and trim scraps

Pop out the glass and replace with cardboard cut to size (taken out of the recycling bin)

Cover the cardboard with fabric, ensuring that you pull it tight as you glue

Lay out your ribbon. I started with an assymetrical design, but decided that I liked the weave pattern better.

In my disassembly I broke off the stand, so I glued this thick ribbon to the back so it could be hung on the wall

And covered the back in fabric to hide the scar from the broken stand. I actually like this a lot better. I think it gives it a finished look.

Ta da! I'll gift it with these bows I made. Altogether, including the bows, the cost of this project was less than $10 and took under 2 hours total. I think she's going to love it! And now I have to make Syd one...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. You are seriously rocking it this Christmas. I have no idea how you are doing this with two kiddos and a full time job. I am still trying to find time to finish H's stocking. For some between the nursing and the "Hey, Mommy" every 5 seconds my productivity level is low. I so, so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the cutest thing ever! I would make one if only I had someone who wears bows...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow--how you come up with this stuff is a mystery to me, because I have not one creative/artistic bone in my body. Love this!!

    ReplyDelete