Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I love the idea of New Year's Resolutions, but it kills me that most are forgotten by the end of February. With that in mind, I'm putting mine out to the universe in hopes that I will actually keep them on a front burner.

1. Reduce The Crazy: Although I may hide it quite well (stop it. I really do!) I have a tendency to get a teensy bit neurotic. On top of that, when I start to get stressed I have a couple of go-to issues that get all of my focus and of course are never resolved. Because if I resolved those I might actually have to think about what's really bothering me. As you can imagine, I've spent a lot of time in The Crazy over the last few months. I'm tired of it, nothing's getting taken care of, and my husband has started putting ear plugs in the second he gets home (not really, but I wouldn't blame him). So I'm making a conscious effort to reduce The Crazy. Right now that means reciting the Serenity Prayer a lot.

2. Focus on the joy: This goes hand-in-hand with #1. When I get stuck in The Crazy I forget to notice all the awesome things I have in my life. I want to be a happy, relaxed person and to do that I want to shift my focus from "what needs fixing?" to "what's going well?" I am so blessed, and I'm not doing the Universe justice by dismissing those things. So essentially, less complaining.

3. This one is a bit more concrete. When we moved I ended up with a huge box titled "Pictures" in the back of my car. On top of that, I have THOUSANDS on a hard drive from after we switched to digital. They're just sitting there, and everyday I add more. So this year I'm going to put the keepers in albums and get rid of the rest. I've already brought the box in and bought a couple of albums, so forward progress. My goal is to have it done by the time Bug gets here, so that I can put her pictures straight into albums.

So that's it. It feels doable, and is more of an attitude shift than anything else. However, it can be hard to remember those things when I get in the muck. I'm going to try though. Wish me luck! I'd love to hear what you guys are planning to do in the new year!

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck! The pictures will be the hardest and most frustrating. I have been working on ours for the last week. Grrrr So far two albums done, and so much more frustrating chaos to tackle.

    ReplyDelete