Monday, January 23, 2017

We Marched!

Sydney, Averson and I joined the 2+ million women worldwide who marched on Saturday. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, since it would be me and the girls alone in the crowd marching to the Capital. I neurotically planned out my strategy in case things went South, including not making signs so that I'd have both my hands free in case we had to run (BTW, really really sad that that was such a prominent concern.) I knew that I wanted to go in support of equality, women's rights, and decency, and I knew that I wanted my girls to be a part of it and to be able to remember being there. After a close call Saturday morning where it looked like I might have to cancel to pinch hit for C at a Boy Scout function, I rallied and met a friend at the train station to join her and her family. 





I am SO GLAD that we went. I was overwhelmed by the sense of unity and am proud that I added my voice and my feet to the 20,000 women, men, and children that marched peacefully to the Capital. There was so much love and support and kindness floating through the crowd. I saw LITERALLY one person, riding by on a bicycle, who said "Trump's our president. Get over it." He didn't even say it loudly. It was wonderful and inclusive and gave me such hope. The rally kicked off with all 20,000 people chanting "Stay Loud!" and "Love, not Hate! That's what makes America Great!" 

At one point Averson and her friend were running amok and a lovely woman bent down to Avery's level and asked her, quite seriously, if she would like to have one of her signs. Avery said yes, and then earnestly listened to the woman explain what a big responsibility it was, that she needed to hold it high, walk slow, and explain to people what it meant. Avery took this on like it was her job. 
Could this be any more perfect? 

Did I mention how glad I am that we went? I am energized to love and advocate and speak out. Sydney learned a few new words and was inspired by the Vagina Monologues quilt (no picture, but it was as pretty and weird as it sounds). Averson found her voice (and may have become internet famous). 

1 comment:

  1. Great pix! I might steal that sign idea for a pro-refugee March this Saturday... I think we're all going to get good at marching...

    ReplyDelete