Friday, July 1, 2016

Summer fun

Firstly, being a working mom with a stay-at-home dad is super awesome EXCEPT for summer and school breaks. I generally love rushing out the door right at the point in the morning when all the fun family bonding is running thin and the shrieks of "where's your shoes?!" and whines about "do I HAVE to have cold lunch?" have begun. I was the primary caretaker all through school and then until Syd was two, so I know being at home isn't always easy, but it's an awful lot easier to see the hard stuff when their days aren't full of water trampolines and swimming lessons and lunch picnics. I've made it my personal mission to cram as much summer fun into what free time I have, and to pretend that at least for a little bit I'm on summer break too (I also submitted about six different time off requests this week, so there will probably be some actual breaking going on too.)

I can think of about a million things I'd rather do than play in the pool, but this year Averson's decided that she prefers to have at least an hour in childcare before MAYBE jumping in the pool. This means that I have at least an hour of watching C, Eli, and Sydney play while I read my book and even out my tan. Seriously perfect. Also, these glasses are my favorite but they make my nose look very much like my mother's (which she's broken multiple times).





Sometimes I'll get in with the bigs, especially when it's eleventy million degrees out




We heart Snap Chat. I don't know how to use it to communicate, but I love me a good selfie and these are awesome.

We even had TWO social outings last weekend! My sitter (who is leaving for college despite my protestations) texted last week to let me know that she was free so we threw together a last minute double date to a ballgame. It was SO fun. Plus, it was a date night that called for comfy pants, red lips, and a secret flask of rum. So basically perfect. We also went to a friend's to watch their communities fireworks display (from their front yard!) She has rainbow lawn chairs that I covet. The kids cutely ran amok and she made the most amazing ribs and margaritas.

1 comment:

  1. Summer is THE BEST. I hope you get enough breaks to be sick of the kids LOL.

    ReplyDelete