Thursday, November 4, 2010

Re-gifting

On Halloween, after C got off work and the kids woke up from their naps, we all piled in the car and headed to a Halloween street carnival in a nearby town. The idea was that it would be cute (not so much), appropriate (not so much), and easy candy (not so much, WTF?). Afterwards we were planning on going to a friend's neighborhood to trick-or-treat. As we were getting back in the car though, I realized that we hadn't left the light on or the candy out, so we headed back home. Syd fell asleep in the car, of course. So, being flexible and modifying my original "precious family memory" making plan (so unlike me), we left Syd with my stepmother and took Eli out. Since Syd was sleeping, we still left the candy on the porch and the light on. The three of us had a great time and returned home about 45 minutes later. Where there was no candy left in the bowl! This has never happened. We've not been blessed with trick-or-treating neighborhoods and we saw this as a sign of good things to come. Except that my stepmother said that about 15 minutes after we left, someone knocked on the door and told her the bowl was empty. Far as we can tell, one person emptied the entire bowl. Greedy f-ers. But the joke was on them, because despite my best intentions we (read "C") ate most of the Halloween candy I bought so rather than buy more, I emptied our "junk box" into the trick-or-treat bowl. Most of the junk box is leftover from last Halloween, so the thieves got year+ old candy. Hee hee. So imagine my surprise when, "checking" through Eli's stash tonight I recognized some of that old candy. We're not talking Twix bars here. We're talking bags of Looney Tunes fruit snacks and off-brand Tootsie Rolls.

Dude. They stole our candy, and then gave it away. To us.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good story. Again, you made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Love your storytelling ability :)

    ReplyDelete